Friday, February 10, 2012

Liquid Hand Soap

This just proves how I expect things to be easier than they are. I look at all the pretty pictures and go, "Heck Yeah! I can do that!" If it looks simple, I am SURE I can get it done. Well, well, well, we shall see.

With 6 people in this house and a rotating door of children in and out, we go through a lot of hand soap. I always use the liquid kind. (never the bar soap)

This seemed like a project I could tackle. I was excited and ready to save us money!

Here is my inspiration picture:

and here is the link
http://pinterest.com/pin/239183430179714229/

I went to 4 different stores looking for the Meyer's bar soap and could not find it. I settled for something I thought would smell good and started grating. Upon reading the directions further I realized it called for an 8 oz bar of soap. My soap was 4 oz. I scrounged through my cabinets and found another 4 oz bar I would have to use. I was going to end up with a 'mixed' project but that was ok.

After grating and grating and grating, and taking some skin off my knuckles I was FINALLY done. Into the pot of water with glycerin it went. (which btw, I did find at the pharmacy next to the band aids)



The directions stated to melt all the grated soap and within 3-4 hours it would start to thicken up. Mine did not. Hours and hours went by and I went to bed thinking my soap would never set up. When I woke in the morning I was surprised to see it had indeed set up. It had set up into something that resembled Slime. I got the blender out as recommended and kept adding water. The final texture was less than desirable.

I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong but since I put the money and the effort in, I'm using the slime soap! (well, for now anyway)


As you can see, I did have left overs. That is because I kept having to add water to dilute my slime.

No comments:

Post a Comment